Posted on Updated on

Derry City Reserves completed their Ulster Senior League programme with a fine 3-2 win over Finn Harps Reserves in Killygordon on Tuesday evening.

Against the run of play, the Candy Stripes hit the front on 7 minutes when Stephen Duffy finished high into the roof of the net. City doubled their advantage moments later when Duffy scored his second from close range, converting an excellent cross by Rhys McDermott from the right.

The scoreline didn’t reflect the early play and Harps certainly didn’t deserve to be 3-0 down when Matthew Duffy slotted home from close range on 37 minutes.

Harps first half display deserved a goal and it duly arrived just before the break when Liam Walsh fired low past City stopper Jason McCallion from eight yards.

A spectacular effort from Luke Nelis with 15 minutes left on the clock gave the home side belief that they could score an equaliser. And that opportunity presented itself on 84 minutes when Harps were awarded a penalty but City net minder McCallion pulled off a superb save diving at full stretch to his right to palm away Ryan Finn’s effort.

The club’s second string finished the season in a respectable third place, scoring 37 goals in 18 games. Carndonagh man Cathal Farren finished the season with nine league goals and Stephen Duffy – who only recently returned from injury – found the net five times.

Derry City Reserves: Jason McCallion; Rhys McDermott, Ciaran Deery, Sam Todd, Lee McColgan; Adrian Delap Evan Tweed, Ronan Wilson, Stephen Duffy; Matthew Duffy, Sean McBride.
Subs Used: Dylan Devine, Cathal Farren, Shane McNamee



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s